CSR & Sustainability
We always ensure that our operations have limited impact on the environment and we constantly strive to promote environmentally friendly policies and sustainable developments. We are passionate about protecting resources and actively promote the use of natural building materials from our own localised mineral sites which allows us greater control and flexibility with environmental practices.
Environment and Sustainability Policy
The Johnston Quarry Group is committed to ensuring that our operations have limited impact on the environment and we constantly strive to promote environmentally friendly policies and sustainable developments throughout our Group. We are passionate about protecting resources and actively promote the use of natural building materials from our own localised mineral sites which allows us greater control and flexibility in the way that we operate and help with decision making. For example, natural stone provides the huge advantage of thermal mass as it absorbs heat during the day and releases it at night. This helps even out the temperature thus reducing the need for air conditioning in the summer and heating devices in the winter, therefore helping reduce operational costs. During its long life, a stone building lends itself to re-development, changes in use, or internal remodelling. Stone buildings remain serviceable for far longer than even their design life and at the end of its usable life, stone can be recycled in a variety of ways.
It is our Policy to:
- Identify and comply with all relevant legal requirements.
- Ensure water along with harvested rainwater, is effectively reused and recycled at every stage of the dimensional stone cycle, from the extraction process through to the cutting process and the use of recycled water to clean plant equipment and machinary.
- Strive to attain a satisfactory balance between economic, social and environmental responsibilities.
- To investigate all areas of energy usage in all areas of the business and establish a programme of reduction with measurable targets.
- Minimise the amount of waste produced by reducing, reusing, crushing and recycling, and ensuring careful and responsible disposal of any waste we produce according to legislation requirements.
- Ensure regular investment in new plant and machinery alongside efficient transportation of minerals from our Quarries and Mines to our customers and our own processing facilities are delivered using modern fleet with Euro5 fitted engines, therefore the environmental effects of transporting the stone nationwide and extractive operations are minimal.
- Ensure awareness amongst all employees of the importance of environmental issues, and providing training appropriate to their responsibilities.
- Ensure their activities are safe for employees, associates, delegates and others who come into contact with their work.
- Monitor purchasing practices and internal operations including energy and transport to ensure best use of natural resources and minimum environmental impact.
- Develop relationships with suppliers, customers, contractors and relevant third parties to discuss and promote improvements in environmental performance.
- Seek to incorporate environmental considerations into future decision-making at all levels.
- Making this policy publicly available to any interested parties.